Morroccan Lamb Tagine
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground black pepper
1½ tbsp paprika
1½ tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 x shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1kg/2½lb meat in total)
2 large onions, grated
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tube of tomato pure
2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
55g/2oz dates, cut in half
55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
85g/3oz flaked almonds
600ml/1 pint lamb stock
1 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2.
2. Place the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss together with half of the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
3. heat the oil in an oven proof casserole. brown the meat. add the onions, & garlic.
4. add the tomatoes, stock tomato pure, almonds dried fruit, and anything else I've forgotten!
5. bring up to a simmer then place in the oven for at least 2 1/2 hours
6. add chopped coriander before serving.
I'll often add carrots & peppers to the mix too.......
I'll someimes use lamb shanks instead of shoulder
serve with cous cous and pitta. my daughter wont eat cous cous so there's rice in the pic too!
after all that time in the oven the meat is fall off the bone tender